08.16.11

CLIC Professional Development Steering Committee

Minutes 8/16/2011

Present:  Geruth Buetow (Concordia), Debby Hackerson (UST – Law), Andrea Koppe (UST), Lyndi Finirock (Bethel), Beth Hillemann (Mac) , Aaron Albertson (Mac), Carole Cragg (Bethel), Terri Fishel (Mac), Tom Nichol (CLIC),  Sue Gray (SCU)

1. Survey – Update, timeframe for sending.  Beth and Aaron will meet on the 17th and get out on Survey Monkey a.s.a.p.  Deadline to return will be Monday, Sept.19th 4:30 p.m.  Results will be shared with Char.

2.   Review dates and times for the proposed discussions in October.  We have proposed dates and times, we will need volunteers to help lead the discussion.  The following may be adjusted after we hear from Kristofer, Jessica, and Kathi.  We would like to have two persons from our steering committee per discussion group – one to facilitate and one to take notes.  We had originally considered a separate discussion for St. Kate’s students, but we’ll plan according to their availability and schedule.  These are the current times proposed for the in-person discussions, all to take place at the CLIC office, with at least one person designated.  We’ll add a second person based on volunteers through email.  The dates and times will be posted on the blog site.  Tom and Terri will work on the registration form which will be send after Labor Day with a deadline to return by Sept. 19th, 4:30 p.m.  Folks will be asked to give their first, second, and third choice if possible and we’ll do our best to give everyone their first choice.  We tried to provide at least one early morning options, and a few late afternoons.  If none of these options work for some people, we’ll try and find another time to accommodate them.

Sept. 26, Mon. – 3:00 – 4:30 – Aaron

Sept. 27, Tues. – 1 p.m. – 2:30 – Debby

Sept. 28, Wed –  3 p.m. – 4:30 –

Sept. 29, Thurs. – 8:30 – 10 a.m. –

3 p.m. – 4:30 – Terri

Sept. 30, Fri. – 10 – 11:30 Andrea

1 – 2:30 – Terri

Oct. 3, Mon – 10-11:30 – Lyndi

Oct. 4, Tues– 1 – 2:30, Debby

Oct. 5, Wed  – 10 a.m. – 11:30 – Carole

Oct. 6, Thurs.  – 8:30 – 10 – Geruth

Oct. 6, Thurs. – 10:30 – noon – Sue

Oct. 7, Fri. 10 – 11:30 –

Oct. 8, Sat. , 10 – 11:30 – Tom & Beth

3.  Discussions – topics, format, length, etc. –

These will be groups with mixed interests, so we want some broad questions.  We will also talk with Char regarding any suggestions.  The survey will provide some information as well.  Terri will share the questions with Char before our conference call tomorrow.  The following were proposed questions (again subject to change and revision.)  We anticipated 5 questions would be enough for the 90-minute discussion.

Have your plans for instruction/training changed – can you share how?

Can you talk about your reflective practices – how do you get input, what are your strategies for keeping up and putting into practice?

What are the particular challenges you face in doing instruction/training?

What are barriers to change that you face?

What are you identifying as personal strengths and how are you sharing or incorporating into instruction/training?

How is technology impacting your teaching/instruction?  Any experiments you want to share?

What doesn’t work for you anymore?

How do you cope with different types of audiences for instruction/training – online, nontraditional students, ESL students, other?

Jot down philosophy of teaching/training and bring to book discussions.

Take some discussions directly from the book.

We had a list of possible guidelines and the group thought we should share guidelines along with questions.  We also agreed, we might need to adjust questions according to participants.  We will lead off discussions with introductions and ground rules.

We also agreed that we would have name tents for the book discussions. We will print up ahead of time and have for the facilitators.  (Tom and Terri will take of this.)

Registration for discussions – Tom and Terri will take care.  After Labor Day and return by Sept. 19th.

4.  Logistics for registration and reservations for Oct. 28th, we have to coordinate food service.  Tom and Terri will take care of logistics.

5.  Feedback on how the activities are going?  It was suggested that we put up a link to Char’s presentation last week (which members said was very good.)  We will also provide a link to survey when it is ready, and post the proposed list of dates and times for book discussions.  Discussion groups will be these two weeks last week of Sept. and first week of October, and registration coming soon.  Sign up early if you want your first choice.

Send out reminder – getting close to start of semester – finish the book, do the activities, look at book discussion dates, questions will be posted, return your survey.  (Terri and Tom will do reminder.)

6.  Next meeting time – dependent on whether we feel a need to meet before the book discussions, but it is a busy time, so we’ll try and do as much by email as possible.

Adjourned at 2:30

Minutes submitted by Terri

Book Discussion Guidelines shared with the group as a separate handout –

Guidelines for Book Discussion Facilitators

[compiled from a variety of resources]

 

General Guidelines for Leading Discussions – for this discussion, it would be good to go around the room and do introductions.

1.  Start by sharing some information about the author.  (Author bio to be prepared.)

2.  Please come with the prepared questions to help encourage discussion.  (We’ll have the questions prepared ahead of time.)

3.  Please remember that there is no right answer, and you want to allow enough time for individuals to express their viewpoints.

4.  Please let others speak first.  Do not lecture to the group, but rather help lead the conversation.

5.  Managing a conversation can be difficult if several want to speak simultaneously.  Please don’t permit two or more discussions to go on simultaneously.

6.  Listening is just as important, so please listen carefully and don’t talk too much.  If a good discussion is going on, stay out of it.  At the same time, if there is silence, wait before jumping in.  You may need to rephrase or clarify the question.

7.  If someone is having difficulty expressing his or her thoughts, try to help them work it out by asking relevant questions.

8.  We want to encourage everyone to participate, so occasionally direct questions toward individuals who may have remained quiet.  You don’t want to put them on the spot, but if you have a few people who are talkative and dominating the conversation, directing a question to a specific person may sometimes help in giving everyone a turn to speak.

9.  It is important to remain neutral.  If asked for your point of view, turn the request around by asking another question.

10.  If necessary, advise participants that it is not permissible to dismiss other’s comments because they may not agree with their point of view.

11.  It is not necessary to get through all the questions, these are just a few to get the conversation started and guide the discussion.

12.   Please conclude the discussion on time.  Discussions are scheduled to end at [  ] p.m.  One way to end the discussion is to merely ask people to rate the book on a scale of one to five, with five being excellent.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s