CLIC Professional Development Activity Steering Committee (CPDA)
1. Welcome and introductions:
- Geruth Buetow, Aaron Albertson, Terri Fishel (chair), Tom Nichol, Andrea Koppe, Jessica Nelson, Carol Cragg, Kristofer Scheid, Sue Gray, Kathi Rickert
2. Minutes: Aaron
3. Review of proposed program and discussion:
- Terri has set a date for Char to speak, October 28th. Besides her book there will be additional readings related to instruction.
- Steer Committee members are responsible for sharing information with their home institutions
- Future meetings will likely be at the CLIC office.
- Have there been thoughts of expanding beyond CLIC? Yes. We are open to this idea.
- Suggestion to tie this to the MLIS program at Saint Kates.
- Communities of Practice could be in person or virtual.
- Ongoing bibliography.
- Assessment – building in a measurement of any new initiative. Could be part of individual campus initiative.
- Visiting each others institutions – team teaching
- Communities of Practice ideas
○ Student employment
○ Staff mentoring
○ Methodologies for getting to know your community
- Make our output as openly accessible as possible – on the web
- We will talk with Char Booth about how to structure the workshop.
- Have at least one discussion prior to the workshop
- Have another speaker in the spring
- Forming a habit of having communities of practice discussing teaching.
4. Tasks and volunteers
- Invitation to CLIC members to participate and set up a list.
○ To do: Terri will work with Tom to send an invitation from the CLIC office regarding Communities of Practice.
○ Information should also come from directors.
■To do: Tom and Terri will develop a letter and that directors can share. They will share their letter with steering committee.
- Letter will include information on:
○ time commitment
○ overall goals
○ include examples of communities, but leave it open.
- Letter should go out before June 1.
- Response deadline: June 24th
- Provide a means of keeping CLIC members informed.
○ To do: Kristofer and Sue will set up a blog by June 15th.
○ Leave it open for everyone to comment, via a moderator.
○ Steering Committee members will be able to contribute to the blog.
○ Once we figure out more about the communities of practice then perhaps more people will be invited to contribute to the blog.
- Organizing the workshop with Char.
○ Jessica, Andrea, Geruth volunteered.
○ To do: Survey our institutions for other volunteers
■We want 5 people total. (Terri)
■Group will be set by June 30th.
○ Proposed hybrid structure:
■Book discussions prior to Char’s visiting will focus around:
- Training (Student Employment)
- Mentoring (staff, admin, faculty, students)
■Communities of Interest will form after Char’s presentation
■People will be welcome to attend even if they don’t attend any of the prior discussions. (don’t include this information in the letter)
- Tom and Terri will handle logistics
5. Feedback? Questions?
6. Funding concerns?
7. Next meeting
- Terri will do a doodle for the week of July 5th